Businesses would prosper if they follow standard rules and procedures in its operations. In line with this, standard forms and documents must also be utilized in every relevant step of its business process, in the same way that must formalize their dealings with their customers. An invoice can help businesses in formally communicating with their customers regarding a business transaction.
If you are a business owner, retail staff, or a manager, you need to make sure that your business is handing out proper sales invoice to your customers. If not, create one that is fitting for your type of business. To know more about invoices, refer to our templates on this page.
Valid Tax invoice Format
Service Tax Bill
What Is an Invoice?
An invoice is a form document that is commonly used in almost all types of businesses. The primary use of an invoice is to notify a customer regarding his/her need to make payment for a product or service that he/she has availed.
In other words, a sales invoice template is a formal request for payment. An invoice is usually given in the following junctures of a business transaction:
- It is given by a sales clerk or sales agent to a customer right after the customer has agreed upon the price, delivery, quality, and other relevant specifics.
- It is given to a customer by a business agent of a company that is engaged in providing services to customers, which must be paid at the end of every month or quarterly. Usually this type of invoice is attached in a formal request for payment letter.
- It is given by a business agent to a customer right after the product that the customer purchased has been delivered to the said customer.
- It is given by a business agent to a customer immediately after the business has provided the service that the customer has availed.
Repair Invoices in PDF
Custom Invoice in PDF
Custom Tax Invoice
Car Sale Invoice
Tips in Creating an Invoice
Depending on the nature of one’s company or business, an invoice may be created to manifest various parts or items. There are, however, some basic parts that should be included in the process of creating an invoice. The following are some basic guidelines for you to follow should you decide to create an invoice:
- Write a heading at the topmost part of your invoice. This heading should read, “Invoice” or “Sales Invoice.”
- After the heading, you may include the letterhead of your company or in other words, the name of your company, its logo, complete address, and contact number.
- Then you may start by leaving out a space for the name of your customer.
- After your customer’s name, create a blank space that should be filled with the basic information of your customer that are needed for the transaction such as the contact number and complete address. In this part, you may have more liberty in adding more or less customer information since it would all be dependent on the type of products or services that you are selling. For example, if your business is involved in providing team building services, then it would most definitely be more beneficial for you to indicate the specific company department or team that you are facilitating. On the other hand, if you are merely selling common nails and hammers, then that information would not be necessary.
- When you are done with the customer information, you must create a table with rows and columns. These columns should cover the pertinent information of a business transaction such as the name of the products or services being availed, the date it was availed, the quantity, and the price.
- After that, include some space for the taxable items, delivery fees, and other additional fees that necessarily follows from the transaction.
- Then include a space for the total amount that is being formally requested for the customer to pay.
- At the bottom part, affix the signature of the sales clerk or agent who is handling the specific transaction.
To have a more in-depth understanding as to the form, content, and layout of an invoice, download our templates on this page. For more specific types of invoices, check out our collections of Contractor Invoice and Hotel Invoice. Access these templates by clicking on the links provided.
Car Rental Sample
Commercial Export Invoice
Blank Hotel Invoice
What Are the Functions of an Invoice?
- An invoice can help businesses track their customers’ buying trends since a sales invoice contains all the necessary information in each business transaction. A manager or marketing analyst can use invoices as one of the primary source of analyzing the current customer patterns, hence, making it easier for them to create marketing plans and make the necessary adjustments in their approach to their business.
- An invoice can also help formalize the sales transaction. Sales transactions are legal matters thus, it must be recorded in a formal manner. Furthermore, if an invoice format has already been served to a customer, then that means that there has already been a formal request for payment. If in the event that a customer who has already been served with an invoice would desist from making his/her payment, then the company or business has the right to take the matter to court in order to force the customer to make his/her payment.
For more reference, check out our collection of Cash Invoice. Simply click on the link provided.
Contract Job Invoice
Sevice Job Invoice
Medical Bill Invoice
Real Estate Invoices
Commercial Real Estate
Real Estate Agent
Motor Vehicle Invoice
Vehicle Sales Invoice
What Is the Difference between an Invoice and a Receipt?
More often than not, a sales invoice can be mistaken as a receipt. Understandably so, since most businesses would opt to use only either of the following. However, this does not mean that a receipt is equivalent to that of an invoice.
As mentioned, a sales invoice is a formal request for payment whereas a receipt is a proof of payment. Thus, a sales invoice is issued before a customer has made his/her payment and the receipt is only issued if a customer has completed his/her payment.
If you need more invoice samples, just browse through our website. We also have ready-made templates of receipts if you’re interested.
44+ Blank Invoice Samples
9+ Lawn Care Invoice Samples & Templates – PDF, Excel, Word
9+ Jewelry Invoice Samples and Templates – PDF, Word, Excel
10+ Advance Payment Invoice Templates – PDF
10+ Real Estate Invoice Templates – PDF, Word, Excel
9+ Car Sale Invoice Templates – PDF
9+ Restaurant Invoice Samples & Templates – PDF, Word, Excel
7+ Bookstore Invoice Templates – PDF, Excel
10+ Cleaning Service Invoice Templates – PDF, Word
10+ Gym Invoice Samples & Templates – PDF, Excel
10+ Retail Invoice Samples & Templates – PDF, Word
9+ Equipment Invoice Samples & Templates – PDF, Word, Excel
Pro Forma and Commercial Invoice: A Comparison
34 Printable Service Invoice Templates
10+ Invoice Templates