Employee performance reviews are, ideally, an unbiased assessment of the an employee’s performance. Usually conducted annually by their immediate head or the managers, this is something most people—both the giver and the receiver of the reviews—dread. However, an employee performance review is helpful in the development of both the development of the employee and the organization in more ways than one.
Unfortunately, most performance reviews end with crushed egos, lowered self-esteem, or bitter feelings of resentment on the employee’s part. To avoid this, follow these tips on how to give an effective employee performance review and see the Sample Forms that you would need.
Employee Self Performance Review Sample
Annual Employee Performance Evaluation Sample
Probationary Employee Performance Evaluation Sample
Employee Performance Evaluation Form in PDF
Professional Employee Performance Review
Goals of Performance Reviews
Performance Reviews are conducted in the hopes of achieving goals such as,
- to be clear with what the employee is expected to achieve;
- to develop both personal and organizational growth;
- to give the employee praise for a job well done and guidance for what could be improved upon; and
- to provide legal, concrete, and ethical evidence in case of dismissal and promotion.
Suggestions for Giving Effective Performance Reviews
A lot of times, managers and supervisors are too busy to be bothered with giving a performance review that does some good. Conducting performance reviews is not simply telling an employee what they’re not doing right. Instead, the main point of performance reviews is to be beneficial for the growth of the company as well as for the development of the employee. It is meant to inspire, motivate, and encourage employees to become exceptional in their fields.
- Make reviews more frequent. Consider conducting reviews more frequently. Studies in industrial psychology suggest that irregular communication between bosses and employees make it difficult for managers to identify what needs to be improved upon. Consider giving reviews immediately after the completion of a major project or quarterly. These reviews don’t have to take a lot of time. Just make sure to highlight the highs and lows.
- Make it comprehensive. While it doesn’t have to take long, make sure that you tackle what needs to be tackled. Be specific with your reviews or what you want for your employees to achieve.
- Be careful with your choice of words. The words you choose in conversations play a heavy role. Choose your words carefully to avoid misinterpretation.
- Ask your employees for their opinions. Remember that this is supposed to be a conversation, and conversations are not a one-way road. Tell your employees what you expect of them, but don’t forget to ask them in turn what they expect from the organization. Know the employee’s goals for their personal and professional life and compromise on achieving both their goals and your goals for the organization.
- End on positive note. While pointing out the gaps in performance, don’t forget to praise what were done right. Literature Reviews in psychology show that a good ending boosts positive feelings and yield to higher self-confidence.
Temporary Employee Performance Review
Employee Performance Evaluation Form Sample
Employee Safety Performance Review
To paraphrase from Julie Rieken, the CEO of a training company, Employee Performance Reviews are for the managers and employees to have a meaningful, reflective conversation. Let this be an opportunity to encourage and motivate for both the development of the employee and the organizaton.
FREE 7+ Sample Employee Performance Review Templates in MS Word | PDF
FREE 21+ Sample Silent Auction Bid Sheet Templates in MS Word | PDF
FREE 13+ Sample Training Needs Assessment Templates in PDF | MS Word
FREE 24+ Sample Training Reports in PDF | MS Word | Pages
FREE 8+ Biopsychosocial Assessment Templates in PDF
FREE 4+ Small Business Balance Sheet Samples in PDF
FREE 20+ Sign Out Sheet Templates in PDF | MS Word | Excel
FREE 37+ Daily Log Templates in MS Word
FREE 17+ Biography Samples in PDF | MS Word | Google Docs | Apple Pages
FREE 10+ Book Folding Samples in PDF
FREE 71+ Questionnaire Samples in PDF | MS Word | Pages
FREE 7+ Wedding Speech in PDF
FREE 8+ Sample Key Log Templates in PDF | MS Word | Excel
FREE 20+ Itinerary Samples in Google Docs
FREE 10+ Damage Estimate Samples in PDF