Running a business requires completing various tasks and activities on a daily checklist basis. These tasks are needed to be done in order for the business to effectively operate. One of the activities that are essential for every business and is needed to be done on a regular basis is a meeting. Business meetings agendas are done by the different departments of the company in order to share ideas, communicate, plan, and make decisions. Often, meetings that are conducted by the business can become unproductive and unorganized, especially without proper planning and preparation.
How do you conduct a productive and successful meeting every time? Aside from a meeting agenda, another important tool that a business can use to ensure the success of a meeting is by creating a checklist. There are different types of meeting checklists that can be used, from creating a checklist to prepare for a meeting, to creating one to ensure that the actions needed to be done after a meeting are followed. Through a checklist, you will also be able to list down all the necessary materials and tools that you will be using during the meeting.
Sample Meeting Checklist
This allows you keep track of the things that you need to do and the materials that you need to gather, ensuring that they are prepared before the meeting starts. In this article, you will be able to read more information sheets about a meeting checklist. Read more about the importance of a meeting checklist, the steps that you will need to do to create one, and the types of meeting checklists below. Plus! We have also listed down some tips that you can refer to when creating a meeting checklist. Furthermore, you can download the checklist templates and samples available on this page that you can use as a template or guide.
Meeting and Event Checklist
Meeting Planning Assistance Checklist
Effective Meeting Checklist
Meeting Checklist in PDF
What Is a Meeting Checklist?
A meeting checklist is a document that is used to list down all the things that are needed to be done in a meeting. This is used as a reminder to ensure that all the important items, tasks, or steps are done in chronological order. A checklist template is also used to help you build your business’s meeting agenda for enterprise as well as in helping you verify whether a particular task or process is done.
Importance of a Meeting Checklist
A meeting checklist may be a simple document but it can surely help a lot in terms of the organization of the entire need flow. Here are some of the reasons why a meeting checklist example is important.
- It ensures the meeting facilitator that the meeting setup and all the other items are well prepared and on hand.
- It makes not only the meeting host but also the attendees ready for the things that they are tasked with including presentations, task listings, and updates.
- It provides a clear presentation of what the meeting is about and the reason on why the meeting is needed to be done.
- It enlists the responsibilities of each attendee, which will help them to not veer away from the main point of the meeting notice as well as the supporting details that they should focus on.
- It provides cohesion to all the factors that are needed to be considered for the meeting to smoothly flow.
Annual Meeting Planning Checklist
Project Kick-Off Meeting Checklist
Assessment Meeting Checklist
Steps for Creating a Checklist for Your Business Meeting
The underlying reason for the efficiency of a meeting is found on the steps being followed by the management in curating the checklist that will be used for the activity log. It is important for a meeting checklist to be properly put together to achieve full effectiveness and high usability. Listed below are the steps that you should follow when creating a meeting checklist.
- Identify the point person who will be tasked to create the checklist. Since certain individuals present in the meeting have a specific role to play, it is important that you identify and specify them in the meeting checklist that you will be creating. When creating a meeting checklist template in excel, consider these roles to ensure that you will have a focused meeting, allowing participants to become engaged in the discussion.
- A Facilitator: Every meeting has to have a facilitator to guide the flow of the discussion. The meeting facilitator should be an effective one, specifically when it comes to his/her leadership skills and neutrality, to ensure that issues from different parties are raised during the discussion.
- A Scribe: Taking notes is an important aspect of every meeting, which is why having a scribe is essential. The role of a scribe is basically to take note of key ideas during the discussion as well as the decisions that will be made throughout the entirety of the meeting.
- A Timekeeper: Assigning a timekeeper during a meeting is also important in order to keep track of the time for each discussion. This is to ensure the smooth flow or progress notes of the meeting.
- A Contributor: By having a contributor in every meeting, you will be able to keep it on track and less boring for the individuals or attendees of the meeting.
- A Meeting Expert: Since meetings are done in order to discuss certain issues, make decisions, and plan template about the business, inviting or having an expert who has knowledge about these issues would be highly recommended. This will allow them to contribute information that will be beneficial to both the attendees and the business.
- Gather information about what the meeting will be from the stakeholders whose functions are necessary when it comes to the discussion that will take place during the meeting.
- Create a draft of the meeting checklist, which should be based on the following:
- The previous call to meeting agenda for actionable productivity that are needed to be resolved
- The subject of discussion, which should be prioritized during the meeting
- The future activities that should be discussed especially regarding the tasks that must be disseminated to the meeting attendees
- Once you are already aware of the general content of the meeting checklist for success, the next thing to do is to list down all the names of the people who are expected to be present during the meeting.
- Identify the purpose of the meeting and place it in the template that you will use, which shall be followed throughout the entirety of the discussion.
- List down all the things necessary for the meeting, specifically the processes and materials that are essential to the meeting that you will be conducting. This includes presentation slides, documents by each presenter, the previous meeting note, and other materials necessary to be brought by the meeting attendees.
- Polish the structure of the template based on the gathered data that you have put together. It will be best to browse through the entire document so you can identify the items that are needed to either be added or deducted.
Offsite Meeting Checklist
Client Review Meeting Checklist
Initial Safety Meeting Checklist
Board Meeting Checklist
Essential Tips for Creating a Meeting Checklist
Now that you have a clear understanding on the importance of a checklist, as well as the steps on how to create one, here are some tips that will be useful in helping you craft an effective meeting checklist. It is very important for the person who will be creating the meeting checklist to be reminded of the following:
- Follow a structured checklist template when developing the body of the meeting checklist. This will help you to identify the parts of the checklist properly.
- When creating a meeting checklist, it essential that you format one in an orderly manner. We suggest you arrange the meeting checklist chronologically based on the importance of the items that you will place in the document, boosting its efficiency and avoiding mistakes.
- Make sure to consider the purpose of the meeting when creating the meeting checklist for you to properly specify the necessary documents and items that are needed to be present in various areas and phases of the meeting.
- Ensure to simplify the meeting checklist. Use keywords and phrases as much as possible as over discussion can result in a lesser organized checklist. It is important for you to create a meeting summary of what is needed to be prepared and implemented rather than fully disclosing the reason on why they are on the list.
- Be guided by the things that are generalized and also those that are specifically created either for a person, a group of attendees, or a function. Being able to create a checklist that can supply the needs of both instances can make the meeting more proactive.
- Ask the meeting attendees on the things that they need as it can make the meeting checklist more relevant.
7+ Sample Baby Shower Checklists
8+ Onboarding Checklist Samples and Templates – PDF, Word, Excel
9+ Control Checklist Samples & Templates – PDF, Word
24+ Checklist Templates in Word
9+ HR Checklist Samples & Templates – PDF
9+ Partnership Agreement Checklist Samples & Templates – PDF
10 Marketing Strategies Checklist Samples & Templates
6 Camping Checklist Samples & Templates
5 Pre-Employment Checklist Samples & Templates
11+ Observation Checklist Samples & Templates – PDF, DOC
7+ Restaurant Checklist Samples & Templates – PDF, Word
7 Packing Checklist Samples & Templates
Checklist for Harassment Investigations
10+ Project Checklist Samples & Templates – PDF, Word
10 Employee Checklist Samples & Templates