A business’s employees are one of the most important assets that a company can have. They help in running the business on a daily basis, as well as help you grow your brand in order for your business to become successful in the industry that you are in. This is why it is essential for you to take care of your employees, specifically on how they are paid. With this, proper handling and management of the business’s payroll are necessary to ensure that employees are paid in a timely manner and with the right compensation.
There are various types of tools and documents that a business can use when doing payroll. One example of this is a payroll register. A payroll register is a document that is used to record all the important information contained in a payroll during a particular period. It basically serves as a summary of an employee’s basic information, the hours that the employee has worked for that particular pay period, gross pay, net pay, and deductions. If you want to create your own payroll register, you can refer to the guide that we have included in this article, as well as the samples available below.
Employee Payroll Register Template
Payroll Check Register Sample
Sample Company Payroll Register
Payroll Check Register Sample in PDF
What to Include in a Payroll Register
In order for a payroll register to be a highly usable and comprehensive document, it is essential that you include all the important information and items required in a payroll register. This will not only allow you to have a record of all the information but will also make it easier for you to gather data and information that may be needed by the business. Should you need to create a payroll register for your business or if you want to learn about the various components that you need to have in your payroll register, the essential elements of a payroll register are as follows:
- A list of the name/s of the employees of the business. Specifying the complete names of the business’s employees is important. The employee name indicated in the payroll register should match with the name specified in the business’s annual tax filings. You may also like payroll templates.
- The employee’s residential status. It should be clearly indicated whether an employee is a legal resident or a non-resident.
- The individual’s marital status. If the employee is married, single, separated, divorced, etc., it should be indicated in the payroll register.
- The number of hours worked by the employee on a daily basis, depending on the business’s number of working days. Since you are creating a payroll register, the number of hours worked by the employee in a day is essential to always be present in the document that you will create. Make use of a payroll hours calculator to make it easy.
- A total of the number of hours that the employee has worked for each week. The number of hours that the employee has worked during the entire week should also be indicated in the payroll register that you will create. This is important when calculating the pay or salary of employees. Utilize a payroll timesheet calculator to keep track and calculate the total number of hours an employee has put in.
- A record of the employee’s days that he/she is on leave, as well as a record of his/her late. Specifying the employee’s leave days and late is essential since this is also deducted from the employee’s pay or salary.
- The overtime hours that the employee has rendered or worked. The hours that the employee has worked in excess of what he/she is required to render for each particular working day.
- The various payroll deductions, which includes the following:
- The deductions for the employee’s medical insurance and life insurance, if applicable
- The employee’s federal income tax, state income tax, and other tax deductions
- Social security deductions
- Bonds, dues, etc.
- The total amount of deductions, which is then subtracted from the total amount that the employee has earned for that particular period.
Now that you understand the various elements or components that need to be present in a payroll register, ensure that these items and information are present in the document that you will develop. You may also check the various employee payroll samples available on our website should you need to create a basic employee payroll for your company.
Blank Payroll Register Template
Manufacturing Company Payroll Register
Payroll Register Template in Excel
Group Underwriting Roster Payroll Register Template
Why Do You Need a Payroll Register?
When you run a business or company, no matter how small or large your business is, you are not only required to manage and operate the business but you are also required to do a lot of tasks and responsibilities that involves legal matters such as filing taxes. A business’s payroll register contains a number of useful information that is essential when performing various payroll tax tasks. Here are some of the reasons why it is important for you to have a payroll register for your business:
- Companies are required to develop and submit tax deposits since this is part of the tax requirements that every business needs to do. A payroll register is important since it contains all the essential information needed to effectively create the payroll tax deposits of the business.
- A payroll register is important when creating payroll tax reports. Businesses need to provide quarterly tax reports to the IRS or an entity that collects these taxes. Without a payroll register, the business will not be able to accurately provide the right data and information when creating or developing tax reports, which can cause problems for the business.
- Aside from providing tax reports to the IRS, businesses also need a payroll register when creating annual wage and tax report documents to their employees, as well as to the social security administration where the business is located.
- Through a payroll register, the business will be able to keep track of the bimonthly, monthly, quarterly, or annual compensation that they provide to their employees. With this, they can ensure that the salary that they provide to their employees is accurate and based on the hours that the employee has worked.
- A payroll register is essential to be able to determine whether a particular payroll calculation is accurate or not. This is especially useful when setting up new company employees or hires. Through a payroll register, you will be able to look at the earnings, amount of deductions, and benefits that an employee has received allowing you to identify if it is accurate.
- A payroll register is also an important document that allows you to compare information and data from your previous payroll registers to your current ones. More importantly, a payroll register can also be used when doing changes to a business’s payroll system to ensure that the changes are done correctly. You may also see free payroll samples.
Accounting Payroll Register Template
HR Payroll Register Sample
Payroll Tips That You Need to Remember
No matter what industry you’re in, the payroll is one of the most important documents that you will have for your business. When processing your payroll, there are a number of obligations that you need to do like ensuring that all the information presented in the document is accurate, as well as processing various legal requirements. Listed below are some tips to help you when creating and developing your own payroll and payroll register.
Some of the payroll tips that you need to remember are as follows:
- Since creating a payroll involves a complicated process, never do your payroll without the help or guidance of a professional. You can ask help from various entities that offer payroll services or you can use a software that will allow you to automate the payroll process. You may also see payroll samples.
- Always review and compare the information that will be presented in your payroll and payroll register. By doing this, you will be able to make the necessary changes and correct inaccurate information on your payroll.
- Always remember to classify all the information before you lay them out in your payroll register. With this, the payroll register that you will create will be organized and well-formatted.
As we have mentioned above, creating a payroll can be a time-consuming and complicated process. By following the tips that we have listed above and the guides that are available in this article, you can ensure that you will have an effective payroll and payroll register every single time. You can also download the samples and templates that we have included on this page so you will have a reference when formatting or outlining your document. You may also check our other payroll samples like blank payroll forms, payroll calendar, and a payroll timesheet. These samples are available on the link provided or you can also browse through our selection of different business documents available on our site.
8+ Sample Blank Payroll Form Templates
7+ Check Templates
7+ Free Payroll Samples
6+ Sample Net Pay Calculator
6+ Sample Printable Checkbook Registers
Creating Payroll in Excel Using Simple Tips
How to Pay Employees When You Can't Make Payroll
28+ Fundraiser Flyer Templates
9+ Sample Fiscal Calendars
9+ Resistor Color Code Charts
8+ Sample Accounting Memos
8+ Key Log Samples & Templates
8+ Ledger Papers
7+ Blank Spreadsheet Templates
7+ Sample Cash Slip Templates