It is always a priority to monitor and observe the health and safety condition of patients especially before, during, and after a surgery. This is to be able to address a direct implication with regards to the quality of care. In order to have a safe system implemented among medical industries, it is essential to have the causes analyzed especially when it is about the errors with their manner of assistance. In the year 2008, the World Health Organization (WHO) implemented standards to minimize or avoid the errors in health care procedures that might occur again through the use of a checklist. It is for the purpose of improving the safety process in surgeries all over the world. The primary goal is the safety of the patients in the preoperative time to be able to comply with the requirements set by WHO. In this article, you will be able to know more information about the what you should do before a surgery.
10+ Preoperative Checklist Samples
1. Patient Preoperative Checklist
2. Preoperative Checklist
3. Sample Preoperative Checklist
4. Preoperative Surgery Checklist
5. Standard Preoperative Checklist
6. General Preoperative Checklist
7. Printable Preoperative Checklist
8. Micrographic Surgery Preoperative Checklist
9. Preoperative Management Checklist
10. Preoperative Assessment Optimisation Checklist
11. Editable Preoperative Checklist
It is natural whenever you feel something uncertain while preparing for surgery. The surgeons and other health care providers always want what’s best for their patients, that is why they always look for the safest and most convenient procedure and experience as possible. Here is a checklist that may help you in the process.
What To Do Before a Surgery?
Everything will depend on the diagnosis especially when you are preparing for it. However, if the doctor requires you to undergo general anesthesia, you should follow the following:
- You should stop eating or drinking at a specific period of time before the surgery will start.
- Take a bath to cleanse yourself.
- Undergo laboratory tests like X-rays, blood tests, electrocardiograms, and other necessary procedures that are essential for the surgery.
- Do not wear any makeup during the surgery.
- Do not wear any nail polish.
- Remove your eye contacts.
- Remove your jewelries and other body accessories.
- Complete your pre-surgery consultations.
- Inform your doctor about the medications you are taking.
- Have someone to stay with you while you are at the hospital and even 24 hours after the surgery.
In addition, the patients are also required to do the following items to make them feel comfortable during the surgery.
- Loose clothes to wear
- Social security card number
- Insurance information
- Medicare card
What To Bring In the Hospital?
To make sure that you are prepared enough for the surgery, here are the things that you should bring with you in the hospital:
- Completed medication history form
- Current reports from medical tests
- List of medications you take and their corresponding dosage
- Health insurance card
- Identification card with photo
- Robe, slippers, toiletries, and other personal essentials
What are the paper works that need to be filled out before the surgery?
A surgical informed consent that you sign after the benefits, risks, and other alternatives have been discussed. A blood transfusion consent where you are asked if you would consent or refuse to have blood transfusion or blood donation. An advance health care directive that will allow you to state your wishes with regards to your medical treatment that you do or do not wish to receive. A disability form that will let your provider know if ever you need a disability form completed.
Do I need to identify a contact person before the surgery?
Put a name of any contact person that will be used throughout the hospital phase of care. Your contact person should be there on the day of your discharge.
What to do if ever the patient feels sick before the surgery?
Notify your doctor as soon as possible whenever you feel something before the surgery.
It is important to follow this checklist before you undergo a surgery. This is for the purpose of your own safety too. If you want to see more samples of preoperative checklists, check out more samples and templates provided in the article for your own reference.
FREE 13+ Sample Non Compete Agreement
FREE 13+ Sample Security Incident Reports
FREE 11+ Sample Meeting Summary
FREE 11+ Sample Operating Agreement
FREE 10+ Sample Warehouse Job Description
FREE 9+ Sample Lease Payment Calculator
FREE 9+ Security Guard Contract Samples
FREE 7+ Sample Operation Manual
FREE 3+ Sample Resource Plan
FREE 3+ Restaurant Management Agreement Samples
FREE 21+ Sample School Reports
FREE 10+ Project Operational Plan Samples
FREE 10+ Nursing Case Study Samples
FREE 9+ Essential Business Financial Statement Samples
FREE 5+ Sample Membership Resignation Letter