Currently, we live in the era where content has been found essential. When we watch television, we consume content. When we go through social media networks, we also consume content. Content is everywhere. A person who creates a content is referred to as a content creator or a content owner. The person who consumes the content is called a content user. This is the time where technology has become more advanced. The state of how feasible it would be to get a content just by accepting the terms has been increased. There are a lot of people who accept terms and conditions and has been neglecting the provisions. This may lead to an even serious infringement claims and more liabilities. Having a content license agreement can usually be found in a written form. This is done in order to avoid any disputes and possible nuances.
What is a content license agreement? By definition, it is a contract made between the content owner, licensor, licensee, and to whoever wants to post the licensed content using their own platforms to have it more accessible to end users. Such licensed content is protected by copyright usually written and found among articles, blog posts, essays, and other forms of multimedia. Before you are going to start the draft for the agreement, it is highly preferred to note that the content is considered licensed. This means that the ownership always remain with the content creator. This is mostly the basic concept in writing a content license agreement.
10+ Content License Agreement Samples
1. Content License Agreement Template
2. Digital Content License Agreement Template
3. Digital Content License Agreement
4. Content License Agreement
5. Editorial Content License Agreement
6. Sample Content License Agreement
7. Website Content License Agreement
8. Standard Content License Agreement
9. Corporate Digital Content License Agreement
10. Channel Development Content License Agreement
11. Trademark Content License Agreement
Things to Consider When Writing a Content License Agreement
- Trademark Use Policy – trademarks are considered to be the secondary when it comes to the licensed content under the context of the Content License Agreement. If in case that the licensee would be able to use to licensor’s marks in a wrong way, the licensor will be able to risk losing his or her trademark rights. This why all licensor should ensure that the marks will be unaltered or in proximity order to the licensed material. This will help in maintaining the connection between the marks and the licensed content itself.
- Copyright Notice – although this is no longer required for copyright protection, it still have other benefits to provide. It includes limiting the defense infringers could bring in the court and preventing the occurrence of potential infringement.
- Media and New Media – a licensor is allowed to grant an exclusive license under the same content to different licensees. However, this depends on the medium of the content. The licensor should be able to consider which media would the content be published in. Both parties should include a provision that provides details about the new forms of media to which didn’t exist at the time when the contract was made. Among the ways on handling this, the simplest would be withholding the rights to all media that are not granted involving the parties that has been able to modify the agreement to accommodate a new media.
- Selection, Modification, and Design – the licensor should be able to have a control over the method on how the content would appear to the end users. This is to make sure that the changes do not inflict a damage or ruin the intent of the content. The licensee, on the other hand, must have an editorial discretion to fit into the platform.
What are the common issues for termination of the agreement?
It includes termination in even of material breach, termination for insolvency, and termination for convenience.
What are some of the precautions while signing the content licensing agreement?
It includes minimum performance guarantee, term sheet, and negotiation of business terms.
What are the advantages of entering into the content licensing agreement?
The licensee will have an easier access to the market, gather resources for research, and generate revenue. Consumers will also value the removal of the guesswork through reading the reviews and noting some awards and recognitions received by each of the products.
If you want to see more samples and format, check out some of the content license agreement samples and templates provided in the article for your reference.
FREE 13+ Distribution Agreement Samples
FREE 10+ Sample Patent Agreement
FREE 10+ Intellectual Property Agreement Samples
FREE 10+ Patent Agreement Samples
FREE 10+ Sample Limited Agreement
FREE 10+ Basic Agreement Samples
FREE 9+ Sample Website Disclaimers
FREE 8+ Terms and Conditions Samples
Application for a License to Display Trademarks
FREE 7+ Trademark License Agreement Samples
FREE 13+ Non-Disclosure Agreement Samples
FREE 11+ Sample Subscription Agreement
FREE 10+ Sales Commission Agreement Samples
FREE 10+ Exclusive Management Agreement Samples
Assignment of Intellectual Property Rights