Losing a loved one is a truly painful experience. The intensity of our grief can have the power to submerge us or choke us. It is for this reason that we organize funeral services and memorials, not only to honor the memory of our departed loved ones but, most of all, for us to lighten the emotional torment that we feel upon their deaths.
Due to the anguish that overcomes us, we may find it hard to write an obituary and a funeral program for our loved one. That is why, if you are in the process of writing obituaries and funeral programs, you may refer to our website’s collection of obituary templates. These templates can provide you with proper obituary template format. Scroll down below and download our templates now!
Printable Obituary Cards
Obituary Program Card
Obituary Event Card
Funeral Program Card
Funeral Obituary Program
Free Printable Obituary Program
Obituary Program Template Format
How to Write a Funeral Program
Below are some rules that can help you in writing a beautiful funeral program that your friends and family would surely remember in the years to come:
- Start by deciding on the design of the cover of your funeral program. When you are designing a funeral program, always keep in mind the solemnity of the affair and stick to basic colors and simple designs.
- In the cover of the funeral program, place a photo of your loved one. Make sure that the photo conveys an expression that is similar to the character of your loved one as most people know him/her.
- Under the picture, write the following information:
- The full name of the deceased
- The age of the deceased
- The birth date of the deceased
- The residential address of the deceased
- The time date of the funeral service
- The location of the funeral service
- On the next page, write the funeral program.
- This should contain all the activities to be done during the funeral program. Arrange each activity chronologically as it would happen during the day so that your funeral attendees would find it easier to use your funeral program as reference throughout the entirety of the program.
- Write a section for the obituary.
- In this section, write bits and pieces of information regarding the deceased loved one.
- This section must provide a biographical sketch of the deceased individual.
- You can state here the following information:
- job position
- scope of influence on other people
- contributions to society
- Dedicate a section that enumerates the surviving family of the deceased such as his/her
- siblings, and
- Lastly, write the acknowledgment section of the program. In this part, write your gratefulness to the family and friends who have shown their support to you and your family during the agonizing period of bereavement.
- To learn more on how to write a funeral program, refer to our website’s collections of funeral program templates and printable obituary templates.
Printable Funeral Obituary
Funeral Program Obituary
Funeral Home Obituary
Free Printable Funeral Obituary
Blank Obituary Template
Blank Obituary Service Form
Blank Obituary Program in PDF
Blank Obituary Form
The Importance of Funeral Services and Funeral Programs
Below are some of the most notable benefits of organizing a funeral service for a deceased loved one:
- A funeral service is a perfect avenue for the family and friends to gather together and mourn for the dear departed whose existence have touched each one of them in some beautiful ways.
- A funeral service allows the survivors of the deceased to be able to feel a sense of closure because they are able to properly say goodbye to their dearly departed loved one.
A funeral program is a document that contains the activities and other important information pertaining to a funeral service. The items below illustrate the importance of funeral programs:
- A funeral program is a document that can be used by visitors for reference during the entirety of the funeral service.
- A funeral program can be used as a memento of the final rites dedicated to the deceased, which one can browse in moments when one wants to remember said deceased.
To know more about funeral programs and obituaries, check out our collections of death obituary templates and printable obituary templates.
Printable Death Obituary
Death Obituary Form
Sudden Death Obituary
Basic Death Obituary
Elegant Memorial Obituary
Legacy Memorial Obituary
Free Printable Memorial Obituary
Obituary Brochure Template
Memorial Obituary Card Brochure
Obituary Event Card Brochure
Free Printable Obituary Brochure
Obituary Classified Ads
Obituary Ads in Newspaper
Free Printable Obituary Ads
What Is an Obituary?
An obituary is an article that contains information regarding the death of a person. Primarily, there are two types of obituaries:
- Newspaper obituary: This is the obituary that you can find in newspapers. The main purpose for this obituary article is to inform the public, friends, and relatives regarding the details of the funeral service. It is advisable to print an obituary at least two to three days before the funeral service. Other than the basic information regarding the funeral service, a brief narrative of the life of the deceased and his/her character and achievements can also be included.
- Funeral program obituary: This is the type of obituary that can be found in the second or third page of a funeral program. It solely depends on the writer of the funeral program how long this should be. This obituary contains the biographical information of the deceased and this can also illustrate the most notable achievements, values, and characteristics of the deceased.
If you want to make your own obituary program, you may use obituary program templates to help guide you.
Best Christian Obituary
Free Christian Obituary
Newspaper Death Obituary
Newspaper Obituary Format
Short Newspaper Obituary
Newspaper Obituary Thank you
Short Obituary Writing
Obituary Service Outline Writing
Obituary Writing Format Template
Obituary Template for Child
Obituary for Adopted Child
Obituary for Young Child
Printable Obituary Template for Child
How to Write an Obituary
The act of writing an obituary does not have to be an extremely doleful and agonizingly difficult undertaking. The following guidelines can help you in writing an obituary:
- Finalize the details and preparation of the funeral service first.
- Get to know the appropriate format of obituary articles that is being used by the newspaper that you are going to send the obituary to. While there is a general format for obituaries, some newspaper companies would opt to tinker with a standard format by taking the liberty to add or remove some of the most common parts of an obituary. That is why you must know the preference of the newspaper so that you may adjust the level of formality, length, and type of content.
- Start by stating the name, age, and date of death of the deceased. Moreover, write a statement or two describing the cause of death.
- Dedicate another paragraph that is purely for the biographical history of the deceased.
- Lastly, close the obituary by stating the details of the funeral service such as the date, time, and venue.
To know more about writing obituaries, refer to our easily downloadable collection of funeral obituary templates.
9+ Payslip Templates – PDF, Word
50+ Quotation Templates – DOC, PDF, Excel
33+ Doctors Note Samples – PDF, Word, Pages
53+ Family Tree Templates
10+ Paper House Samples
18+ Sample Family Tree Chart Templates
18+ Purchase Order Templates to Download for Free
27+ Sales Plan Templates – PDF, RTF, PPT, Word, Excel
30+ Log Templates
16+ Sample Printable Food Log Templates to Download
22+ Sample Weekly Report Templates – PDF, Word, Pages
17+ Sample Organizational Chart Templates – PDF, Word, Excel
20+ Useful Sample Project Plan Templates to Downlaod
17+ Beautiful Printable Bookmark Templates to Free Download
18+ Sample Weekly Status Report Templates – PDF, Word