Have you ever wanted to express your sincerest thanks to an individual or entity for a particular gesture, service, or opportunity? Letters have been used by people as a means of communication for a very long time now. There are many types of letters that are used, whether it is for business or personal purposes. If you want to express your appreciation or gratitude formally through a letter, writing a thank-you letter is the best way. Thank-you letters can be handwritten, emailed, printed, and so on. If you want to send out a more personal thank-you letter, you can opt to write a handwritten thank-you letter to that person or entity.
There are many reasons why people write thank-you letters. A thank-you letter may be written after doing an interview for a job, after receiving a gift, sponsorship, donation, etc. If you need help in writing your thank-you letter, this article will be useful to you. Here, you will be able to read about the steps in creating your thank-you letter, the reasons why writing a thank-you letter is important, and the steps in formatting your thank-you letter. Plus, we have some tips that will guide you when creating your thank-you letter. We also have templates available in this article and on our website should you need other types of thank-you letters like a donation thank-you letter, interview thank-you letter, and a business thank-you letter.
Free Thank-You Letter for Gift Template
After Interview Sample Thank-You Letter Template
Scholarship Thank-You Letter Template
Sample Donation Thank-You Letter Template
Thank-You Letter Template for Corporate Partners
4 Reasons Why a Thank-You Letter Is Important
It is important that you understand why a thank-you letter is important. Writing a thank-you letter is important for a variety of reasons. The reasons why a thank-you letter is important are as follows:
- Sending out a thank-you letter is important since it is common courtesy to formally thank a person or entity for taking their time, for a gift that you have received, or for the service that he/she has provided you.
- Through a thank-you letter, you will be able to remind a potential employer about your skills and qualifications on why you are the best person for the position.
- A thank-you letter will help you build a close relationship with other people.
- A thank-you letter allows you to connect with other people, as well as show that you understand their feelings, beliefs, etc.
Important Points to Remember When Creating Your Thank-You Letter
In order to help you create and write your thank-you letter, we have gathered some useful tips. Here are important points that you should remember when creating your thank-you letter.
- When sending out your thank-you letter, it is important to send it at an appropriate time. Always send out your thank-you letter within 24 to 48 hours.
- Remember to choose a high-quality paper for the thank-you letter that you will be writing.
- Consider the format of the thank-you letter that you will be writing. It is important for your letter to look professional but at the same time keeping it personal.
- Before sending out your letter, remember to check for any misspellings and errors.
- Remember to keep your thank-you letter short and brief. Writing a thank-you letter that contains two or more pages is unnecessary.
- When creating your thank-you letter, you can choose different types of paper, pens, and envelopes to make it more personal.
Volunteer Thank-You Letter Template
Sponsorship Thank-You Letter Template
Printable Thank-You Letter Template
Job Interview Thank-You Letter Template
Student Thank-You Letter Template
Mentor Thank-You Letter Template
Format of a Thank-You Letter
Properly formatting or outlining your thank-you letter is important in order to have a professional-looking document. The format of an effective thank-you letter are as follows:
The heading of a thank-you letter contains the date, the salutation or the name of the person you are writing the letter to, and other important information. If you are writing an interview thank-you letter, indicate the company name and the address. When writing your salutation, you can write the words “Dearest,” “Dear,” “Hi,” followed by the name of the person you are addressing the letter to.
In the introductory paragraph, indicate the reason why you are writing the thank-you letter. For example, thank the person or entity for the gift that he/she has sent you, or thank them for taking the time to interview you.
In this section, elaborate on why you are writing the thank-you letter. Show them that you appreciate their gesture. This is where you can talk about anything that you may wish to talk to them about, as well as build a close relationship with the person. If you are thanking them regarding a job interview, sell yourself by talking about your skills and why you are qualified for the job.
To conclude your thank-you letter, thank the person again. When writing your closing line, you can choose to write the words “Sincerely,” “Best Regards,” “Cheers,” etc., followed by your name.
Steps in Writing Your Thank-You Letter
Although writing a thank-you letter through email is easier, a handwritten thank-you letter is more personal and shows your sincerity. If you need a guide when writing your letter, here are the steps in writing one. Also, you can download from the thank-you letter templates available in this article if you need a printable template or a guide.
- Start your letter by writing the salutation. Write a greeting for the person you are writing the letter to by starting with “Hi,” “Dear,” and so on, followed by the name of the person. Your salutation will depend on the person you are writing the letter to.
- Express your appreciation for the gift, service, time, and so on in your letter. Ensure that you are sincere in your letter. After you have thanked the person, you can talk about other news or information that you want to mention in your letter.
- Close your letter by choosing a closing line that will fit the purpose of your thank-you letter. You can either write “Yours Truly,” “Thanks Again,” or “Best Wishes” followed by your name.
Furthermore, you can also download from the various thank-you letter templates available on our website. These include a professional thank-you letter template, coach thank-you letter template, teacher thank-you letter template, and so on.
FREE 3+ Common Ways Job Applicants Mess Up Their Cover Letters in PDF
FREE 7+ Tenant Warning Letter Samples in MS Word | Pages | Google Docs | MS Outlook | PDF
FREE 12+ Sample Thank-You Letter to Employees in MS Word | PDF | Pages | Google Docs | MS Outlook
FREE 12+ Teacher Cover Letter Samples in PDF | MS Word | Google Docs | Pages
FREE 10+ Sample Job Application Cover Letter Templates in PDF | MS Word
FREE 9+ Non-Engagement Letter Samples in PDF | MS Word
FREE 3+ Sample Hogwarts Acceptance Letter Templates in PDF | MS Word | PSD
FREE 38+ Thank You Letter Templates in MS Word | Google Docs | Pages | PDF
FREE 12+ Company Resignation Letters Samples in PDF | MS Word | Pages | Google Docs
FREE 12+ Letter of Support Templates in MS Word | Apple Pages | Google Docs | PDF
FREE 9+ Termination Letters in MS Word | PDF | Pages | Google Docs
FREE 9+ Sample Offer Letter Templates in MS Word | PDF
FREE 15+ Behavior Warning Letter Samples in MS Word | Pages | Google Docs | MS Outlook | PDF
FREE 10+ Doctor Letter Samples in MS Word | Pages | Google Docs | MS Outlook | PDF
FREE 8+ Job Applicant Rejection Letter Samples in MS Word | Pages | Google Docs | MS Outlook | PDF