When we get a job offer, receive a gift, a favor, or an opportunity, showing your appreciation or gratitude is important. There are many reasons why it is important to express your gratitude. To be able to thank an individual formally, a thank-you letter is the most sincere method of thanking a person or entity. There are various ways that you can do when sending out your thank-you letter. You can either choose to send it through a handwritten letter, a printed letter, or through email. Although handwritten letters are considered old-fashioned nowadays, a handwritten letter allows you to add a personal touch to the letter that you will be sending out.
Through thank-you letters, you will be able to build a stronger relationship with other people especially since this shows your sincerity and that you appreciate their gesture. This is especially important when dealing with business. If you need help in writing your thank-you letter, then you are in the right website! This page contains all the essential information that you will need if you want to learn more about thank-you letters. Here, you will read about the purpose of thank-you letters, the types that you can use, important guidelines, and most importantly the steps in writing one. Aside from this information, you will also find thank-you letter examples that will be useful in helping you format your letter.
After Interview Thank You Letter Sample
Scholarship Thank You Letter Example
Interview Thank You Letter Example
Donor Thank You Letter Example
When Do You Write a Thank-You Letter?
There are many instances where a thank-you letter is needed. Whether it is for business purposes, or for a more personal reason. These are the common instances when a thank-you letter can be written.
- Business – in business, you deal with various individuals. These include suppliers, business partners, employees, investors, and so on. Showing your appreciation through thank-you letters is important for any gesture that they may have done for you. Expressing your gratitude is essential, especially since building a strong relationship with other people is important when running a business.
- Applying for a job – after you get interviewed when you apply for a job, sending out a thank-you letter is important. The purpose of sending out a thank-you letter after an interview is that it allows you to show your appreciation for considering your application, as well as to remind them of your skills and why you are the best fit for the job.
- Personal – when other people send you gifts, it is common courtesy to say thank you. Aside from saying it verbally, you can send them a written thank-you note or letter. This shows them your sincerity since you took the time to write a letter to thank them.
- Service – when you receive a good customer service or exceptional products from a particular service provider, you can formally show them your appreciation through writing a thank-you letter.
What Is the Purpose of a Thank-You Letter?
There a number of reasons why writing a thank-you letter is important. Understanding the purpose of a thank-you letter will help you learn how to write one. The purposes of a thank-you letter are as follows:
- A thank-you letter will help you build a close relationship or understanding with other people.
- Through a thank-you letter, you will be able to show that you understand another person’s beliefs, feelings, values, and so on.
- Sending out a thank-you letter shows that you respect the views and judgments of people that you interact with.
- If you are applying for a job, a thank-you letter allows you to remind a potential employer that you are qualified for the job that you are applying for.
Job Interview Thank You Letter Example
Fundraising Thank-You Letter Example
Sample Email Thank You Letter
Writing Your Thank-You Letter
When writing a letter, especially a formal one, it is important that you understand the necessary steps in creating a letter to ensure that you will come up with a formal and professional-looking letter. If you don’t know the step-by-step process of writing your thank-you letter, the steps written below will be useful to you.
- Before creating your thank-you letter, you can download and use our examples available in this article as a reference in formatting or outlining your thank-you letter.
- Write the salutation. The first section that you should write in your thank-you letter is the salutation in order to address the individual you are writing the letter to properly. Start by writing “Dear” followed by the name of the person receiving the letter. There are many different variations of salutations that you can use depending on how you want to address the recipient.
- Write the introduction. State why you are writing the letter. If you are writing it for a personal reason, specifically to thank a person for a gift that he/she has sent you, write a short sentence indicating that you are writing this letter to thank them.
- Write the body of the letter. In this section, elaborate on the purpose of your letter, write that you are thanking them for a gift, service, gesture, and so on. It is important that you show them that you appreciate them.
- Conclude your letter. When concluding your letter, build the relationship and express your gratitude by thanking them again.
- Write your regards. Close the thank-you letter that you are writing by saying “Love,” followed by your name or the name of the sender. You can also choose to write “Best Regards,” “Sincerely,” etc., depending on the familiarity with the recipient.
Essential Parts of a Thank-You Letter
A well-formatted thank-you letter should contain all the necessary parts or elements needed in a thank-you letter. A thank-you letter usually contains four parts. Now, let’s discuss the different parts of a thank-you letter below.
- Heading – if you are writing a business thank-you letter, it usually contains a heading. A thank-you letter heading includes the address of the recipient and other relevant information.
- Greeting – the greeting or the salutation is where you will address the recipient of the thank-you letter. You can either write the words “Dearest,” “Dear,” “Hi,” etc., followed by the name of the person.
- Body Paragraph – this section is where the rest of the contents of the thank-you letter is written. Write why you are writing the letter. For example, if you are writing the thank-you letter for an interviewer or potential employer, you can express your appreciation for the interview that you have previously done with the person by thanking them for the time. You can also remind them of your skills and qualifications and that you are the best fit for the job.
- Concluding Paragraph – close the letter by showing them that you appreciate them one last time. Choose the appropriate closing line depending on the person you are writing the letter to. Some examples are “Love,” “Cheers,” “Sincerely,” and so on.
Mentor Thank You Letter Example
Presentation Thank You Letter Example
Business Thank You Letter Example
General Guidelines for Writing a Useful Thank-You Letter
Here are some guidelines or tips that you need to follow when creating your thank-you letter.
- Always choose the best quality paper to write your thank-you letter on.
- Send your thank-you letter within 24 to 48 hours after an interview or meeting. It is always important to be timely when sending out your thank-you letter.
- Proofread your thank-you letter to ensure that it is free from any spelling or grammatical errors.
- Remember to follow the format or outline of a standard thank-you letter in order to make it look professional.
- Customize the design of your letter depending on its purpose. You can choose to write it on scented papers, different types of pens, and envelopes with designs.
- Although it is important to keep your thank-you letter professional, also remember to keep it personal to be able to effectively express your appreciation and gratitude.
- Keep your thank-you letter short. Avoid writing thank-you letters that contain two or more pages.
- Remember to sign the thank-you letter that you will be sending out. This will give a more personal touch to the letter you are sending.
- Although sending thank-you letters through email is faster and more convenient, a handwritten or printed thank-you letter is preferable.
What Are the Different Types of Thank-You Letters That You Can Use?
Thank-you letters vary depending on where and how it is used. Refer to the common types of thank-you letters below should you need more examples.
- Interview Thank-You Letter – when you get interviewed for a job offer, sending out an interview thank-you letter to a potential employer or interviewer will increase your chances of getting that job. In the letter, you can thank the interviewer for his/her time as well as sell yourself by indicating why you are the best person for the job.
- Donor Thank-You Letter – a donor thank-you letter is sent to a person who has provided a donation for a particular cause. Through this letter, you will be able to show your appreciation for the donation given by the individual or organization.
- Recommendation Thank-You Letter – a recommendation thank-you letter is sent to a person who has written you a recommendation letter, whether it is for employment, school, etc.
- Employee Thank-You Letter – if you want to thank your employee/s for his/her outstanding work or contribution to the company, an employee thank-you letter is the best letter to write.
Aside from the thank-you letters listed above, there are other types of thank-you letter such as a volunteer thank-you letter, award thank-you letter, nursing thank-you letter, etc. You can download the templates and examples of these types of thank-you letters on this site.
131+ Sample Thank You Letters
35 Sample Resignation Letters in Word
13+ Sample Rental Agreement Letter Templates
12+ Basic Rental Agreement Letter Templates
13+ Sample Rental Agreement Letters
Free Sample Love Letters in Word
11+ Sample Thank You Letters for Gifts Free Download
12+ Sample Formal Complaint Letters
13+ Sample Formal Complaint Letters – PDF, Word, Apple Pages, Google Docs
12+ Sample Appeal Letters
12+ Example of Appeal Letter Templates to Download for Free
11+ Appeal Letters – Word, Apple Pages, Google Docs
14+ Appeal Letter Samples – PDF, Word
12+ Appeal Letters – Free Samples , Examples & Format
9+ Sample Retirement Resignation Letters