Whether you have received gifts, favors, have come from an interview, or have been offered a job by one of the companies you applied for, saying thank-you is a good way of showing your appreciation. Coming up with a well-written thank-you letter is an even better way of showing your appreciation. It gives the impression that you put in a good amount of effort just to let someone know how grateful you are for what happened.
Nowadays, writing a thank-you letter may be seen as old-fashioned. Oftentimes, people will prefer sending a text message or a quick email as it is faster and more economical. But why write a thank-you letter? One good reason is the fact you will be able to express your gratitude in a more detailed manner, which, in turn, makes the recipient think that you highly value what has been done or given to you.
However, once you start writing your letter, you may be at a loss as to what else you should say aside from the words “thank you.” We will help you out with that dilemma! In this article, we will let you in on a few tips for writing a thank-you letter. We will also present different types of sample thank-you letters that you might find useful. All this and more exclusively on this very article! Keep reading to find out more about thank-you letters.
Basic Thank-You Letter Samples
Sample Thank-You Letter
Sample Thank You Letter to Your Mentor
Sample Thank You Letter Format for Download
Sample Thank You Letter Template in DOC
Sample Professional Thank You Letter
Free Thank-You Letter for Gift Template
Printable Thank-You Letter Example
Business Thank-You Letter Examples
Business Organization Thank-You Letter
Printable Email Business Thank You Letter
Business Interview Thank-You Letter
Thank-You Letter Sample for Business Partnership
Thank You Letter Template for Corporate Partners
How to Write a Thank-You Letter
A lot of people will actually ask, “How do you write a thank-you letter?” This question might even be boggling your mind at the moment. You may not know how to do it at this very moment but we will help you out. We will give you great guidelines for thank-you letters that you can follow that will surely help you end up with a well-written one that will be greatly appreciated by the recipient.
Starting Your Thank-You Letters
- Personalized thank-you letters are always preferred. You have to make sure that the opening of your thank-you letter is appropriate for the situation that needs the thank-you letter. For example, if you are writing a personal thank-you letter for your friends or your family members, your salutation can be warmer and more personal such as “My dearest Susie,” or “To my lovely mother.” However, if you are writing a more formal thank-you letter such as job interview thank-you letters, sticking to the generic Dear followed by the last name of the recipient is deemed to be appropriate.
- Always be sincere with your expression of gratitude. You do not have to be an expert writer to come up with an excellent thank-you letter. Just be sincere in letting them know what you are thankful for and why you are thankful for it. Briefly describing the reason or reasons why you are thankful gives the recipient a better understanding of the message that you want to relay.
- Example for personal thank-you letters: “I want to say thank you for the pair of knitted gloves you have sent over. They are definitely going to be useful for the upcoming cold months!”
- Example for business thank-you letters: “I would like to thank you and your team for the efforts you have put in regarding my job application. I am very grateful that you gave me the opportunity to prove myself to be a good fit for the data analyst position in your company.”
- Let the recipient know that you value the gift or the gesture they did. Even if you do not really like the gift, out of respect, show them that their efforts are not wasteful and that it is highly appreciated.
- Follow-up statements are preferred for personal and business thank-you letters. After showing the recipient that you are grateful, have a few follow-up statements. Examples are as follows:
- For personal thank-you letters: “I am looking forward to catching up with you during Peter’s birthday party. I’m pretty sure that everyone else is excited to see you!”
- For business thank-you letters: “I hope I get to hear from you on the 3rd of September just as you promised. You can definitely reach me through my mobile number, 9999-123-4567, or you may also email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.”
- Wrap things up warmly. Reiterate your thank-yous and sign off properly. Make sure the closing of your letter is also appropriate for the relationship that you have with the recipient as this is the best way on how to end thank-you letters.
How to Format a Thank-You Letter
The thank-you letter format you will be using will all depend on the type of thank-you letter you will be writing. Here are a few tips that you may follow.
- Choose whether you want to type your letter or have it handwritten. Handwritten thank-you letters give a warmer and more personal feel to your letters. They are best used for thank-you letters for gifts. However, if you are writing a professional thank-you letter, you would also want to make sure that your letter looks professional and in top-notch form. Professional thank-you letters are best typed as it ensures that your margins, spacing, and font size are all uniform.
- Use nice inks, pens, and font styles. If you are going to handwrite your thank-you letters, they will definitely look best if they are written with black or blue sign pens. If you are going to type your letters, choosing a simple font such as Arial, Times New Roman, or Georgia will make your letters look fresh and professional. Keep the font size in between the range of 10pt to 12pt.
- Good-looking stationery, unruled papers, and cards will go best with thank-you letters.
- Personal thank-you letters are great as you can personalize them whichever way you want to. You can put doodles and stickers on them and make use of different sized papers and cards.
- Professional thank-you letters should be printed on 20lb paper as these types of papers crease less. If you want to make your printed thank-you letters stand out, instead of using plain bond paper, you can choose from other shades of white such as ivory or egg shell white. These may not look different on its own but they will definitely stand out against other documents.
- To email or not to email? You might be confused as to when it is an appropriate time to send an email thank-you letter. If you lack time to send an actual printed thank-you letter, you can send an email. This is usually true for emails that are businesslike or professional in nature. You just have to make sure that you have the correct email address of your recipient and that you format your thank-you email the same way as you would any regular thank-you letter.
Example of Thank-You Letters for Scholarship
Basic Scholarship Thank-You Letter Sample
Scholarship Thank-You Letter Template in PDF
Downloadable Scholarship Thank-You Letter
Printable Format for a Scholarship Thank-You Letter
Scholarship Thank-You Letter Example to Download
Sample Thank-You Letter for Scholarship
Sample Scholarship Thank You Letter Template
General Tips in Writing Thank-You Letters
- Always send thank-you letters whenever someone does a favor for you, gives you gifts, or help you with your job search. Not only is it part of a good etiquette, it also makes the recipient feel better about himself or herself.
- Make sure you send one within 24–48 hours. This is especially important for thank-you letters after interview and for companies who make immediate decisions regarding hiring employees. These letters help to ensure that the employer or interviewer is reminded about how a good and strong candidate you are for the position available.
- Keep your letters short and easy to understand. There is no need for you to make a lengthy letter. A brief thank-you letter will surely be enough. Do not forget to make use of simple language as well. Jargon and slang is definitely not advised.
- If you are writing job-related thank-you letters, make sure you do not sell yourself short. Let them know what you enjoyed the most during the interview and make sure that you utilize this letter as an excellent last impression for the position you are applying for.
- Make sure that you double-check your letter for any typos and misspellings. You also have to make sure that you addressed your letter to the correct person and that you spelled the names of your recipients correctly.
Interview Thank-You Letter Examples in PDF
After Interview Sample Thank You Letter Format
Sample Thank-You Letter for a Job Interview
Sample Interview Thank-You Letter
Printable Interview Thank You Letter Example
Post-Interview Thank-You Letter Format
Job Interview Sample Thank-You Letter Template
Sample Thank You Letter for Donation
Free Sample Donation Scholarship Thank-You Letter
Basic Sample Donation Thank You Letter
Donation Thank-You Letter in PDF
In-Kind Donation Thank You Letter Example
Sample Thank-You Letter for Donation of Money
Sample Thank-You Letters for Job Offer
Job Offer Acceptance Thank You Letter
Sample Thank-You Letter for Job Offer with Acceptance
Thank-You for Job Offer Acceptance Letter
Sample Job Offer Thank-You Letter
Thank-You Job Offer Letter Sample
How to Make Use of Thank-You Examples
The thank-you letter examples we have in this article are going to be great guides for when you are writing your very own letters. These will be great references about what the content of your thank-you letter should be as well as how different types of thank-you letters are formatted. They will also help you how with regards to how you should layout your letter and what tone will be best for these types of letters.
Downloading the samples we have presented are also easy as pie! The DOWNLOAD button is found beside the sample. Once you click on it, you will be asked to fill out a simple captcha and you will now be ready to download the full document. It’s that simple! Plus, we are offering all of these samples for free so you can download as may samples as you like! Isn’t that great? The more references you have, the better!
Now that you know just a little bit more about thank-you letters, make sure that you follow the tips and guidelines we have shared. These will definitely be your key to ending up with thank-you letters that will be unforgettable and will be read by your recipients with a big smile on their faces. Who knows, maybe your letter of thanks just made their day. Whatever platform you choose for your thank-you letter, remember that it will always be better to say thanks than not say it at all.
FREE 3+ Common Ways Job Applicants Mess Up Their Cover Letters in PDF
FREE 7+ Tenant Warning Letter Samples in MS Word | Pages | Google Docs | MS Outlook | PDF
FREE 12+ Sample Thank-You Letter to Employees in MS Word | PDF | Pages | Google Docs | MS Outlook
FREE 12+ Teacher Cover Letter Samples in PDF | MS Word | Google Docs | Pages
FREE 10+ Sample Job Application Cover Letter Templates in PDF | MS Word
FREE 9+ Non-Engagement Letter Samples in PDF | MS Word
FREE 3+ Sample Hogwarts Acceptance Letter Templates in PDF | MS Word | PSD
FREE 38+ Thank You Letter Templates in MS Word | Google Docs | Pages | PDF
FREE 12+ Company Resignation Letters Samples in PDF | MS Word | Pages | Google Docs
FREE 12+ Letter of Support Templates in MS Word | Apple Pages | Google Docs | PDF
FREE 9+ Termination Letters in MS Word | PDF | Pages | Google Docs
FREE 9+ Sample Offer Letter Templates in MS Word | PDF
FREE 15+ Behavior Warning Letter Samples in MS Word | Pages | Google Docs | MS Outlook | PDF
FREE 10+ Doctor Letter Samples in MS Word | Pages | Google Docs | MS Outlook | PDF
FREE 8+ Job Applicant Rejection Letter Samples in MS Word | Pages | Google Docs | MS Outlook | PDF