Reference letters, also known as recommendation letters, are basically testimonials about a person. It talks about his or her credentials, character, and achievements. These letters are mostly utilized by employees, students, and basically anyone who needs to have a testimonial written about them. You have to think about how you would write one as it is a very crucial letter. Your choice of words immensely matters, which means that you should be careful when writing these letters. You are putting the person who requested the recommendation letter at stake should there be mistakes, dishonesty, and negativity reflected in the letter.
If you are unsure of how you should write a reference letter, there’s a wide variety of Sample Letters that can help you out.
Sample Faculty Letter of Reference
Personal Letter of Reference PDF
Employement Reference Example
Character Letter of Reference
Letter of Reference for Student
Landlord Letter of Reference
When to Use Reference Letters
- When job seekers apply for a job, having a reference letter handy can help give more support to his or her application.
- Some employers require a reference letter from the previous employer of a job candidate as a means of attesting that the said candidate can perform his or her duties properly. You may check out Character Reference Letter Samples.
- Students who are applying for academic-related purposes such as a student loan, college or university admission, or scholarship.
- Landlords or property owner may also opt to ask for a reference letter from a previous landlord of a prospective tenant. This is to establish that the prospective tenant is in good standing with regard to his or her financial status and that he or she is a good candidate for renting properties. You may also refer to Landlord Reference Letters.
Who Is Qualified to Write a Reference Letter?
There are some things that you need to consider when writing a reference letter.
- Ensure that you know the person you are writing the reference letter for.
- You should be someone who can write a positive and truthful reference letter.
- You should be someone who is confident enough to think that you can write one that is meaningful.
Letter of Reference for College
Personal Letter of Reference
Letter of Reference for Immigration
Nursing Letter of Reference
Letter of Reference for Tenant
Tips for Writing a Good Reference Letter
- Address the recipient if you know his/her name. In case you do not know who will be reading the letter (which is common for scholarship applications), you may opt to use the generic “Dear Ma’am/Sir” or “To whom it may concern” salutation.
- Introduce yourself and let the recipient know how you are related to the candidate. Do not to forget to state why you are qualified to write the reference letter.
- Mention the strengths of the candidate and include facts where he or she was able to showcase these strengths. Quantify these strengths, if possible.
- Leave your contact details such as your phone number and e-mail so that you can be contacted accordingly should they have additional questions about the candidate.
Using Sample Letters of Reference
The job reference templates in this article serve as a guide for writing your own. These are already in the correct format. All you need to do is replace some of the words in order to match it with credentials of the person you are writing for. You can download these documents in PDF (.pdf) and Word Document (.docx) format directly from the page. You can also refer to Reference Letter Formats for more samples.
10+ Sample Employee Thank-You Letters
10+ Student Reference Letters
10+ Employee Resignation Letters – DOC, Apple Pages
9+ Sample Recommendation Letter for High School Students
11+ Sample Job Recommendation Letters
8+ Sample Nursing Reference Letters
11+ Nurse Reference Letters – PDF, Word
8+ Sample Rental Reference Letters
8+ Sample Promotion Recommendation Letters
11+ Sample Promotion Recommendation Letters
10+ Sample College Letter Of Intent – PDF, DOC
10+ Pregnancy Resignation Letters – PDF, Word, Apple Pages
10+ Sample Resignation Letters in PDF
13+ Sample Thank You Letters After Phone Interview – DOC, PDF
44+ Sample Letters of Recommendation for Graduate School – DOC, PDF