Admission to graduate school is very different from a high school enrollment. You’ll need to comply to specific requirements and wait for a confirmation before you can enroll to your desired graduate course. One of the requirements is a letter of recommendation for graduate school. It’s the type of letter that you don’t write for yourself. Explore downloadable recommendation letter samples in this article, and learn useful tips for making effective reference letters.
FREE 10+ Sample Letter of Recommendation for Graduate School
1. Free Letter of Recommendation for Graduate School
2. Free Letter of Recommendation for Graduate School Admission
3. Letter of Recommendation for Graduate School
4. Recommendation Letter for Graduate School from Coworker
5. Sample Letter of Recommendation for Graduate School
6. Letter of Recommendation for Graduate School Format
7. Letter of Recommendation Form for Graduate School Admission
8. Letter of Recommendation for Graduate School Sample
9. Basic Letter of Recommendation for Graduate School
10. Formal Letter of Recommendation for Graduate School
11. Letter of Recommendation for Graduate School in PDF
What Is a Letter of Recommendation for Graduate School?
A recommendation letter for graduate school is a formal document that provides details about a person’s work or performance in academics. Writing your own letter of recommendation for graduate school is a big no-no. You shouldn’t even think of doing it. That is because what the recipient is after is to know what kind of person you are based on how other people see you. So who can write a recommendation letter? A person’s colleague, employer, supervisor, and teacher can write a recommendation letter for you. You simply write a request for a recommendation letter to any of the people listed above.
A sample recommendation letter for graduate school represents an individual’s vote of confidence to a candidate for a master’s program or a doctoral program. It provides details of the skills, aptitude, and achievements of the candidate or applicant. This formal letter is widely used, whether in academics or business. A few examples are a letter of recommendation from a professor for a master’s degree or a recommendation letter for further study from an employer.
How To Write a Letter of Recommendation for Graduate School
Letter writing has been around for a very long time. The first handwritten letter was written around 500 BC by Queen Atossa of Persia. In the present, this ancient document is still used as a means of communication in different fields of work. Letters never go out of style; that is why we still use them for making written recommendations. And to write an excellent recommendation letter for someone, we’ve prepared essential tips that you can use.
1. Allot Enough Time to Write the Letter
You should know that haste makes waste. If you want a well-written persuasive letter, then you’ll need to dedicate some of your precious time on the matter. Recommendation letters are taken seriously by university deans and professors, so you should do the same.
2. Make Sure That You Personally Know the Candidate
Your letter should also sound convincing. To do that, you’ll have to be as detailed as you can get. Of course, it’s only possible if you personally know the person you are writing about. It also helps if you have a strong positive feeling toward them. Your letter will come out naturally this way. Learn to politely decline if you’re asked to write a recommendation for somebody you barely know. It’s good for both of you.
3. Always Sound Polite and Professional
Remember that the recipient of your letter is the head of a particular grad school department. So your letter should sound polite and professional. More than just using a formal letter format, using the appropriate words is also necessary. Let them know that you mean business in a good way.
4. Follow the Appropriate Guidelines
The person who requested the grad school recommendation letter may provide a guide for you to follow. Using the guide will make your task easier and help your letter sound more natural. You’ll be confident that all the details you provide are accurate to the best of your ability.
5. Avoid Exaggerations
What should a recommendation letter for graduate school include?
An excellent recommendation letter must include the following information:
- A formal introduction of yourself
- The reason why you’re writing a recommendation letter
- How you are related to the person you are recommending or how you get to know each other
- The reason why they should listen to you
- A detailed discussion of the traits, skills, characteristics of the applicant, as well as other things that makes them special
- Say something about their accomplishments
- Tell them how the applicant is qualified for grad school
- Add something that you know about the grad school or master’s program the applicant is applying for
How long should my grad school recommendation letter be?
Grad school recommendation letters must not be too short or too long. The acceptable length for a grad school recommendation letter is at least 300 to 400 words. This range allows the writer to add the essential details of the letter and not take up much of the time of the reader.
They say that if you can’t write an excellent recommendation letter, then you should not start making one at all. That is because none is better than a poorly written one. But there is always room for improvement. You can definitely practice using the samples in this article. Check them out now!
FREE 6+ Sample Letter of Recommendation in MS Word PDF
FREE 6+ Sample Letter of Recommendation for Coworker in PDF ...
FREE 43+ Letter of Recommendation Samples in PDF MS Word
FREE 7+ Sample Personal Recommendation Letter Templates in ...
FREE 4+ Sample Military Letter of Recommendation in PDF
FREE 8+ Sample Letters of Recommendation in PDF MS Word
FREE 7+ Employer Recommendation Letter Samples in MS Word ...
FREE 8+ Sample Letter of Recommendation Templates in PDF MS ...
FREE 13+ Sample Recommendation Letter Templates for ...
FREE 6+ Sample Formal Letter of Recommendation in MS Word PDF
FREE 32+ Sample Letters of Recommendation for Scholarship in ...
FREE 8+ Medical School Recommendation Letter Templates in PDF ...
FREE 9+ Sample Professional Letter of Recommendation in MS ...
FREE 7+ Sample Employee Recommendation Letter Templates in ...
FREE 7+ Sample Academic Recommendation Letter Templates in ...