What do you think a timeline is? A timeline provides a display of the list of events or activities that are arranged in chronological order. There are three types of timelines, namely a text, a number timeline, and an interactive timeline. Most timelines are created using an infographics template where a data is presented using images or illustrations.
If you are creating a project timeline, then you might need to check on these timeline examples that are available in this article. Choose and download any examples from the 33 timeline samples provided here. You can use them as your own or as reference for you to create one.
Powerpoint Timeline Example
Why Are Timelines Important?
If you have not used or seen a timeline before, then you probably don’t have an idea how important it is or its uses. Here we will give you an idea of how important a timeline is and they are enumerated below.
- A project timeline helps in the planning and organization of a certain project because it provides the details of what activities can be done in the specified period of time.
- A timeline is a tool used to coordinate activities between employees, vendors, and guests.
- Event planners are able to keep track of the things to occur in an event with the use of a timeline. They can make sure that the plan is followed so that the event can run smoothly.
- By providing a timeline to all the people you hire makes it easier for them to follow instructions and do as they are told.
- A PowerPoint timeline is used to make high-end project timelines.
- The establishment of a timeline allows the people you hire to be able to assist and provide directions to guests on where they need to go, what they need to do, and where they will sit during the event.
- Since a timeline is created in chronological order, doing things according to plan can be achieved.
Tips for Creating a Timeline
Creating a timeline could be both hard and easy. It could be hard if you know nothing about timelines, especially if you don’t know anything about planning and management. It could be easy if you already know what it is and if you have tried making one. Regardless if you find it easy to make or not, here are some useful tips to help you create one.
- You can save yourself all the trouble of creating a timeline by making use of the sample timelines that we have included in this article. All of the 33 examples can be viewed and downloaded here.
- Start first with working on a draft for your timeline before you make the actual sheet or presentation. This will make it easier for you to decide what layout to use and what things to write.
- Use a template or layout that gives you the capability to show the best parts of your timeline.
- Use a graphic timeline that contains images or illustrations if you are creating a story timeline to help you tell the story or convey the story to the team you are working with.
- If you prefer a simple timeline, you can arrange the sequence of events in chronological order and provide a description of what things should take place in each of the time that you have plotted, just like how it is done in an event timeline.
- A PowerPoint timeline would be suitable if you wish to make an impression as this type of timeline is considered as a high-level timeline. If created and presented correctly, you will surely get a lot of praises.
- If you are using visuals in your timeline, make sure that you include adding the event or a description of the visual.
New Graduate Student
How to Do a Timeline Template?
We will be providing two sets of steps on how to create a timeline template. One is a timeline template made manually and the other one is using the Excel.
For a manually made timeline template:
- Think of the type of timeline you want to make. There are a lot of designs and styles that you can choose from. You can also make use of timeline examples as your reference.
- Prepare the materials you need, like pencil, ballpen, clean sheet of paper, ruler, and eraser.
- Set the margin of your sheet to the same size for all sides.
- Draw the timeline design you want to make. It could be in a table format or a line with boxes beside. You are free to do what you want with it.
- Label your timeline based on chronological order.
For a timeline template made in Excel:
- Open the Excel application with a blank sheet.
- Go to the menu and look for the insert tab.
- In the Insert tab, select the option for SmartArt.
- The Choose a SmartArt Graphic gallery will open. From there click the Process option.
- You will be provided with different timeline layouts. Choose one that you want to make and double click it.
- You can now edit an enter text to it.
What Is a Timeline for a Project?
A project timeline is an essential tool for the success of a certain project plan or project management. Through the visuals of a project timeline, the important milestones and necessary tasks of a project can be clearly communicated to the rest of the members of the said project and the client. Just like the other timeline, a project timeline is also arranged or planned in chronological order, that is why it keeps the project organized and easy to track. It makes the whole process run smoothly.
Aside from a project timeline. There are still other types and uses of timelines, and they are enumerated and discussed below.
- A historical timeline is used in education to present the order in which historical events took place. It is used in class to help the students understand the things that happened in the past and their effects on the future.
- A research timeline provides an organized schedule of the research process being done and so that the research can be finished by the designated deadline.
- A recruitment timeline is a schedule used by recruitment agencies or recruitment headhunters to stay on track of their recruitment-related activities.
20+ Sample Daily Reports
21+ Sample Daily Reports
11+ Sample Employment Agreements
9+ Sample Subscription Agreements
11+ Sample Employment Agreements
9+ Late Rental Notice Templates – PDF, Google Docs, MS Word, Apple Pages
10+ Useful Sample Late Rent Notice Templates – PDF, Google Docs, MS Word, Apple Pages
8+ Real Estate Market Analysis Samples
16+ Market Analysis – PDF, Word
11+ Market Analysis Samples – PDF, Word
10+ Notice to Quit Samples – Google Docs, MS Word, Apple Pages, PDF
13+ Subscription Agreement Samples
10+ Sample Risk Analysis Templates
11+ Sample Risk Analysis Templates to Download
18+ Sample Buy Sell Agreement Templates – Word, PDF, Pages