Animations and motion picture are first viewed in storyboards before they come to completion in movies. Storyboards are illustrations or images that are displayed in sequence and they are used to plan the shots or scenes for a movie or a production for television.
For you to be able to know more about storyboards, we have 43+ storyboard templates in PDF. They can give you more ideas and a picture of a storyboard is. They are available online for download. They are also made in PDF format so downloading and printing will be easy. You might also want to check our other storyboard samples.
Blank Storyboard Templates in PDF
Website Storyboard Sample
How to Create a Storyboard?
You need to make a storyboard to plan on a movie or a film. You will be able to present your movie or short film through the storyboard. It will give information about who will be in the film, the places, the scenarios and other things that will take place in a movie. Through the use of a storyboard, the sequence of the scenes can be organized so it makes planning and creating the movie easier. The following are ways on how to create a storyboard.
- The first thing to do is to plan. You can’t just draw this and that and hope that they will all work together. When you plan, you chronologically determine or decide the place and events that will take place in your story.
- Write down the events that you want to be included in your story and how you want them to appear on screen. Of course, they should be in order.
- Pick out the scenes that you want to stand out in your story. These scenes are the highlights or what the movie is all about. It is like a movie that is put in a flip book or look book.
- You may also include in your list any twists that you want in the story, or any changes that you want in the settings.
- You can make your storyboard as detailed as possible or you may want to just put in the important details. Plan it according to your preference.
- Once you are done with listing your plan, it is time to put them into the boards where they are supposed to be.
- Prepare the templates. You can choose to to have your templates in several boxes in one board, one scene per board, circle templates, or arrow templates. This will make it easier to draw the details that you have listed. It will also make your storyboard look neat and organized.
- Once you have decided on what template to use, it is finally time for the sketch. This is where the planning process takes a long time. The events that you have listed will now be sketched in the templates. This is where we will see how you visualize the scenes you have written.
- While sketching, you may include the dialogue in the sketch or put it below the drawings. You may also put a description on what scene and what event is drawn in that particular box.
- After you are done sketching the entire story, you might want to check it and see if you are satisfied with your work.
- You may add important notes that you find to be needed in the story or you think should be added in the story.
- Finalize your work. After you have decided that your output is already good, you can go ahead and proceed to printing it. Make the copies for the people to whom you will be presenting your storyboard.
- You can also make a digital storyboard if you prefer it that way. We also have free storyboard samples and storyboard samples in word.
Digital Storyboard PDF
Romeo & Juliet Storyboard
What Is the Use of a Storyboard?
A storyboard is like a comic script or a comic book. Instead of having words, sentences, and paragraphs in it, they have illustrations and images. These illustrations and images will tell us about the story, what the plot is going to be, the setting of the story, the characters who will be involved, and other things that are needed for its completion. Below are some of the uses of a storyboard.
- As viewers have movie trailers as a preview to the movies in the big screen, storyboards, on the other hand, serve as a preview for the team making the movie. They need to look at a preview of every scene before they make it final.
- In film making, storyboards are series of frames that show the sequence of the events in a story. This is viewed by all of the members of the film making team, especially the director. Through the storyboard they are able to determine any problems with the film before the problem happens.
- Storyboards can also help them with estimating how much money is needed for the production. This is very important since money is part of the factors that can help create a good film.
- Since creating a storyboard is like planning for the movie, it not only saves film makers money but it also saves them time. Film making is also a race with time. The more time spent on production, the bigger the amount of money is needed for it.
- It is easier to describe or present something through illustrations, images, and drawings than putting them all in words. Words can be interpreted in a lot of ways, whereas a sequence of images telling about a story will give the viewers the same idea on how it should look like.
- Storyboards are also used in theaters. Just like in films and movies, the layout and the sequence of the scenes in theaters need to be planned too. Without planning the whole presentation may look awkward or chaotic. You may want to check screenplay samples.
- It can help the camera man and the director in planning for the shots that they will take for the scene.
- The movements of the actors and the casts are also planned out by using a storyboard, which enables the film makers to save time. We also have sample lists available.
Basic Storyboard PDF
Book Tralier Storyboard
Cartoon Storyboard Sample Download
What Is a Digital Storyboard?
A digital storyboard is different from the drawn storyboard in the way that they are created or the tools used to create them. While the drawn storyboard is made using pencils, pens, and a pieces of paper, a digital storyboard is created with a digital tablet or computer graphics programs, like Photoshop. Digital storyboards are more efficient than the hand drawn one. It makes the task a bit easier. The sketches are cleaner and can be easily presented compared to the hand drawn one. For more about storyboards, you may check Story Outline Samples.
What Is the Job of a Storyboard Artist?
A storyboard artist is sometimes called visualizers. Their main job is to create storyboards, either hand drawn or digitally made, for films, movies, or advertisements. They sketch the story that is provided to them into frames with dialogues, arrows, and notes. Most storyboard artists are using computers to start and finish their work.
Advantages and Disadvantages of a Digital Storyboard
There will always be good and bad things about something, and storyboards are no exception. Because we want you to know about it, we have listed the advantages and disadvantages of a digital storyboard below. If you are interested for more, check out Movie Storyboard – Free Sample, Example, Format Download.
- A digital storyboard can produce better-looking outputs than the hand drawn one.
- It needs a specific computer program like Photoshop to make one. It also needs equipment like laptops or tablets, unlike the hand drawn storyboards that only require pencils, pens, and papers.
- It needs power supply in order for the gadgets to work.
- A lot of people now are learning to use Photoshop and such programs to create digital storyboards. This is now the digital era, so finding these skills would not be as difficult as it was 10 years ago.
- It may be costly and can add up to the production budget. A team for creating storyboard might be needed or created to do such tasks. This is again additional costs for production and they are not cheap.
- If the files get corrupted and no backup is made, the whole storyboard will be lost and a new one should be made. This does not only add up to the cost but gets more time spent on the film. This is not good especially if they have a deadline.
- Saved files are handy because they can be saved in memory cards or any file-saving devices.
- Digital storyboards can be created a lot faster than the hand drawn storyboards.
It is not a secret that making films and movies is very hard. Aside from managing a lot of people in production, they also need to coordinate with other people and do planning. The tool that helps film makers make successful and quality-looking films are storyboards. With all the advantages and the uses they have, who would not find them useful? So if you need storyboard templates for a short film project or a play for your school’s foundation day, you can make use of the storyboard templates that you can download here.
FREE 30+ Investment Samples in Google Docs, MS Word, Apple Pages, Apple Number, MS Excel, Google Sheets, PDF
FREE 30+ Sales Samples in Google Docs | Google Sheets | MS Word | MS Excel | Apple Numbers | Apple Pages | Illustrator | PSD | Publisher | PDF
FREE 30+ Handout Samples in Google Docs | Illustrator | MS Word | PSD PDF
FREE 30+ Social Media Samples in MS Word | Google Docs | Pages | PSD | Illustrator | Publisher | PDF
FREE 30+ Inventory Samples in MS Word | Google Docs | Pages | Excel | Numbers | Google Sheets | PDF
FREE 30+ Goals Samples in Google Docs | Illustrator | MS Word | PSD | PDF
FREE 30+ Persona Samples in Google Docs | MS Word | PDF
FREE 30+ Portfolio Samples in MS Word | Pages | InDesign | PSD | Publisher | PDF
FREE 50+ Standard Operating Procedure Samples in MS Word | Google Docs | PDF
FREE 51+ Syllabus Samples in Google Docs | MS Word | PDF
FREE 45+ Work Order Samples in Google Docs | Google Sheets | MS Word | MS Excel | Apple Numbers | Apple Pages | PDF
FREE 41+ Work Samples in Google docs | Google Sheets | MS Excel | MS Word | Apple Numbers | Apple Pages | PDF
FREE 50+ Study Guide Samples in Google Docs | MS Word | Apple Pages | PDF
FREE 41+ Will Samples in Google Docs, MS Word, PDF
FREE 42+Thesis Templates in PDF