Logs are an essential part of a business. This is true because of their purpose of cataloging every transaction that takes place. The most common use for these logs would be in a work log sheet. This type of log is used as a means of cataloging the work output an employee has on a daily basis, which in turn would calculate the amount they will have for their salary.
Another example of a log would be an invoice log,where its function is to list down the different invoices made during the day so as to manage them later and keep track of debts.
Business Mileage Log
Phone Call Log
What Is a Log?
A log is a type of monitoring tool that helps with the determination of a person’s effort in or out of the office. It can also be used as a means of keeping track of material movements to and from the company. It is also a means of confirming a person’s attendance to a certain activity or event. The most common of these logs would be an employee’s time log, where the purpose is to check the employee’s attendance at work. However, most companies today tend to use a time log template instead of designing their own time log.
How to Create a Call Log Using an Excel Spreadsheet
Creating a call log using an Excel spreadsheet is quite simple, just follow the instructions below:
- Open your Excel application and create a new spreadsheet.
- Select six columns to be used as the call log. The number of rows to use is mainly up to your preferences.
- In the top portion of the spreadsheet, merge the entire row into one row using the Merge All Cells function and write the title “Call Log” to the merged row.
- In the row directly below the title row, indicate information about the person using the call log; information such as their name, position, and contact details.
- In each row, indicate each phrase exactly as ordered: Date of Call, Name of Caller, Number of the Caller, Call Started, Call Ended, and Message Left.
- Then at the bottom of the table, indicate instructions for the person who will be using this call log.
Although making your own log can be rewarding, most companies nowadays save time by just using a free log template instead.
Daily Medication Log
Weekly Medication Log
Medication Administration Log
Blank Workout Log
Workout Log Sheet
Home Reading Log
Independent Reading Log
Reading Response Log
Essential Tips to Create a Log
Creating a log is quite simple depending on the type of log you wish to make. As there are several different types of logs, let’s focus on the general format of a log so as to have a clear understanding on how to make one. Here are some tips for making a log:
- There is no actual maximum length of a log, however, you must keep the length manageable so as to allow for easier reviewing of the log on a later date.
- Depending on the type of log you are using, be specific with the information you need to collect. (Example: If you’re making a call log, state information relevant to the call only.)
- Don’t shy away from using templates, especially a daily log templates in word format or a time log template in Excel format. Using these templates saves time and energy in making a log.
- When making the spaces for each box, make the box large enough to hold necessary information. This will prevent the need to use multiple boxes for the logging of a certain activity, which in turn would prevent your log from looking messy.
- When making the log, always make the purpose of the log be specific. This way it will be more likely that the log is written correctly and have information relevant to the log.
- Indicate instructions. Indicating instructions may seem weird for something as simple as a log but it is a great way of reminding them what exactly the log is for.
- If creating a log for personal uses such as exercising or going on a diet, have goals and objectives listed to help motivate you in accomplishing the log.
- There is no such thing as being too specific when making a log. Making a log, after all, is a means of monitoring your activities. The more specific the activities, the easier it is to determine its necessity.
Daily Food Log
Diabetic Food Log
Drivers Daily Log
Daily Lesson Log
Daily Work Log
Blood Pressure Log Sheet
Temperature Log Sheet
Vehicle Log Sheet
Driving Log Sheet
What Is the Importance of Using Logs?
The importance of using logs in most activities today is that it is a means of developing your company with the least amount of effort. It does this by maintaining a system that motivates the employees to progress with their work outputs. Another importance of having logs would be that it is relatively cheap and easy to make these kinds of documents thanks to the large number of templates and samples that are available online. To cite a few examples would be the daily log templates, activity log samples, call log templates, etc. This diverse amount of templates makes it easier to create a log that suits your needs.
Uses of a Log
Regardless of what kind of log you are using, every log is useful in its own ways. The best and most common use of a log would be that it is a means to keeping track of your progress by making you create a physical list of your daily activities that you can review on a later date of your choosing. Aside from motivating you to accomplish your goals, it is also a means of keeping track of your company’s transactions and expenses simply by cataloging each transaction.
Due to its diversities and large numbers of samples of logs, logs will always be useful and always necessary in most companies. Further examples of logs would include communication log samples, visitors log templates, and much more.
Community Service Log
Service Event Log
Service Hours Log
Outside Sales Log
Farmers Market Sales Log
Monthly Travel Log
Travel and Entertainment Log
Team Travel Log
Volunteer Hours Log
Student Volunteer Service Log
Independent Volunteer Log
Employee Training Log
Resistance Training Log
Guidelines on the Dos and Don’ts of Using a Log
As of any documents out there, there are some important things you need to take note of when making a log. Below are some dos and don’ts to keep in mind:
- Do use templates to save time in making a log. (Templates like expense log templates, time log sample templates, etc.)
- Avoid inputting unnecessary information.
- Always input data daily.
- Avoid erasures and errors.
FREE 14+ Chart of Accounts Samples in PDF | MS Word | Excel
FREE 17+ Sample Biography in PDF | MS Word
FREE 30+ Sample Metric Conversion Chart Templates in PDF | Excel | MS Word
FREE 10+ Affidavit of Confirmation Samples [ Signature, Service, Death ]
FREE 10+ Affidavit of Consent Samples [ Parental, Marital, Support ]
FREE 10+ Affidavit of Correction Samples in PDF | DOC
FREE 10+ Affidavit of Ownership Samples [ Land, Vehicle, Transfer ]
FREE 10+ Affidavit of Income Samples [ Declaration, Self Employed, Expenses ]
FREE 10+ Affidavit of Financial Support Samples [ Notarized, Immigration, Student ]
FREE 10+ Affidavit of Discrepancy Samples [ Joint, Name, Address ]
FREE 10+ Affidavit of Buyer/Transferee Samples in PDF | DOC
FREE 10+ Affidavit of Acceptance Samples [ Service, Knowledge, Property ]
FREE 9+ Sample User Manual Templates in PDF
FREE 9+ Visitors Log Templates in PDF | MS Word
FREE 10+ References Samples in MS Word | Google Docs | Pages | PDF