Performance reviews are valuable tools in managing progress and keeping track of the highs and lows of everyone in the workplace. These are usually conducted by a supervisor or a manager. This is sometimes done through a one-on-one meeting or a written evaluation. Regrettably, this activity is almost always a wasted opportunity. A performance review session is meant to encourage an employee to develop their skills and motivate them to strive for more than what is expected and go the extra mile. However, the opposite is achieved due to the manager’s inability to practice correct performance review techniques.
Here are some Sample Evaluations and tips on conducting effective performance reviews.
Sample Employee Performance Evaluation Form in PDF
Sample Performance Evaluation for Managers
Self Performance Evaluation
Sample Performance Evaluation Form for Teachers
Free Sample Performance Evaluation Form
Goals of Performance Reviews
Conducting scheduled Work Performance Reviews gives the manager and employee a chance to communicate. It also gives them the opportunity to
- discuss job performance;
- discuss expectations;
- set goals for professional development;
- review the department mission and objectives that would contribute to it;
- encourage open communication so issues may be opened up, talked about, and resolved;
- let employees know that their efforts are recognized and appreciated by praising them for a job well done; and
- let employees feel valued by not reprimanding but instead offering guidance to fill gaps in their performance.
Steps in Performance Reviews
When conducting Employee Performance Reviews, make sure that you cover these steps to ensure that there are no ill-feelings or negative repercussions following the meeting:
- Describe the Performance Problem. If you find that the employee has had some performance gaps or you’ve noticed certain aspects that they could improve upon, mention these in detail. Because managers are so busy, they might sound harsh when doing this. Be sure that you don’t sound sarcastic, rude, or unkind.
- Review Performance Standards. Remind the employee of what their tasks and the standard that they are expected to meet. While you may be firm, still try to avoid sounding too unkind.
- Develop Plan for Improvement. With the employee, discuss what they could do to improve. Ask for their opinion and encourage them to speak out.
- Guide. If they are having trouble, offer help. If they are lacking in skills or knowledge, offer to mentor them or help them find a mentor. If the factors contributing to their performance problems are personal, refer them to the HR office.
- Remind Them of Their Potential. Gently remind them that they were chosen among many other applicants for a reason. Remind them that they have the skills and the abilities and that all they need is probably just a little more work or a little more training. End the meeting on a positive note as to not crush their self-esteem.
Sample Performance Evaluation Forms for Nurses
Performance Evaluation Form for Trainees
Sample Staff Performance Evaluation Form
Sample Performance Evaluation Form Example
If done right, performance reviews could be beneficial for the development of both the employee and the organization. It isn’t easy to conduct it, so don’t waste all that time and effort. Download these Performance Evaluation Samples and Job Performance Samples to serve as your guide when it’s time to evaluate your employees.
FREE 10+ Sample Self Evaluation Templates in PDF | MS Word
FREE 18+ Sample Evaluation Templates in PDF
FREE 6+ Sample Job Performance Evaluation Templates in PDF | MS Word
FREE 6+ Sample Performance Evaluation Templates in PDF
FREE 6+ Sample Work Performance Evaluation Templates in PDF
FREE 21+ Sample Inspection Checklists in PDF | MS Word | Excel
FREE 15+ Brochure Word Samples
FREE 6+ Doctor Excuse Samples in Google Docs | Pages | MS Word | PDF
FREE 19+ Cookbook Samples in PSD | MS Word | Publisher
FREE 11+ Printable Funeral Program Samples in MS Word | Publisher | Pages | PSD | MS Outlook | Google Docs | AI | PDF
FREE 17+ Sample Handover Reports in PDF | MS Word | Google Docs
FREE 13+ Sample Nonprofit Business Plan in Google Docs | MS Word | Pages | PDF
FREE 19+ Church Budget Samples & Templates in MS Word | PDF | Excel | Docs | Sheets | Numbers | Pages
FREE 10+ Itinerary Samples in Google Docs
FREE 21+ Business Plan Samples in Google Docs | MS Word | Apple Pages | PDF